Saturday, June 26, 2010

The first woman on the moon

I can’t believe it. I simply can’t believe it. Today my boss called me to his office said he needed to find out about certain minerals that have been found on the moon. Of course, I knew about this mission, as originally he hired my colleagues Jason Marrols, Bob ''Bossy'' Bloxon, Athony Rickwood and Simon Eel. However, my boss told me this afternoon, that Simon has depression problems and therefore is not able to go. I wondered why Mr. Philip (that's my boss) told me this. When I asked him, he looked me straight in the eyes and said: ‘Alicia Pearl, you will be the first woman on the moon.'

When I first told my friends Sally and Carl, they were both gobsmacked and it took a while for them to be able to form proper sentences instead of 'you...moon...woman...no way...' Once the news got out into the open, I was like a famous pop star. I could not concentrate at the mission meeting, because people kept giving me the thumbs up and shaken my hand. And when we did our every day fitness training I kept falling over because every time I looked round there were people congratulating me.

Finally after four or five hours, when my hand had been shaken so many times it felt like it might fall of, Sally invited Carl and me round to her house to have dinner. The dinner was an unusual one, food that we would eat in space; dried fruit, salted beef and for desert ice cream.
After dinner I went home feeling as happy as a lark, for I, Alicia Pearl, will be the first woman on the moon. 'A small step for one woman, a giant leap for all' I said to myself. And grinning I walked through the streets into the glorious sunset...

1 comment: