Sunday, June 27, 2010

Daily life in space

It has been half an hour after the launch of the 'Andromeda 1' space shuttle and now I am orbiting the earth at 17500 miles per hour. Before I set foot on the moon, we will stop at the I.S.S., the International Space Station to do some experiments with minerals on earth and how they react in space. We will sleep there for 5 nights.

We just entered the ISS.
This is the first time that I am not strapped in and now I feel the effects of a zero gravity environment. On earth there are clear rules: up is above you and down is beneath. However in a zero, or low gravity environment, when you are floating about, it doesn't really matter. There are straps and handles every were to prevent that you float away while doing research or an experiment.

We were greeted enthusiastically by other astronauts and one cosmonaut.
after a lot of upside down hand shaking and floating around, I was feeling rather sick, so Bob 'Bossy' Bloxon showed me to my room. Well, if you could call it a room. It was basically a space as big as a cupboard with a kind of a sleeping bag attached to it. There was no bathroom. Instead, astronauts and cosmonauts would brush their teeth using a chewable toothbrush and they would not shower at all. The toilet was truly strange; it was a vacuum sucking toilet, otherwise you would have- well anyway, I won't go into the details...
All the waste gets shot back to earth and burnt in the atmosphere.

No comments:

Post a Comment