Sunday, June 27, 2010

The day of launch

Today I woke up feeling strange...feeling happy...feeling exited... But why? Was it a new millennium? No, that was 12 years ago... Was it the national day of peace? No, that was in 50 years... Was it the world wide firework exhibition? No, that would be when I was in space. Hang on a minute... And then I remembered. TODAY I WAS GOING INTO SPACE!!!!! I jumped out of bed and got dressed so fast that when I looked in the mirror I found out that I had my clothes the wrong way round. When I fixed my clothes and had a quick breakfast, grabbed my suit cases and got into the car. I had a last look at my house and drove to NASA...

The atmosphere in the camp was very tense. Everyone was doing some last minute training; flying a plane, maneuvering under water, weight lifting and running obstacle courses. To get used to a zero gravity environment, the astronauts would sit in a plane with mattresses on all the walls ceiling and floor. The pilot would fly up very high and then stop the motors in mid air. The plane would fall down and that would be when the people inside would be weightless. Just like driving over a bump on the road. Then the pilot would start the motors and fly up again.

At about four o'clock in the afternoon we were driving to the shuttle launching platform. My head was full of thoughts that you get when you are nervous. 'What if the shuttle explodes, what if I faint, what if I press a wrong button...' When we arrived, I saw the shuttle. Like a great big monster looking down at us and suddenly, I felt confident. How could such a great rocket let us down?

We were walking up the ladder, we said goodbye to our loved ones,And before I knew it I was sitting in the space shuttle breathed in deeply. This was it. The count down began. '10,9,8,check all engines 7,6,5, all engines on 4,3, prepare for launching 2,1... The shuttle let out a almighty roar. I was stuck to my seat, the pressure pressing me down. Nine whole minutes I could not move, I was going to die, my head was hurting I was just a few seconds from doom... And then as suddenly as it started, it stopped. And a voice said: 'Lift of successful we are now in orbit'

No comments:

Post a Comment